How to make a complaint

How to let us know about your complaint

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise with either the person concerned or with the Practice Manager  

Please feel free to ask to speak to the Practice Manager, if they are not available we can arrange for him to contact you.

The details of our Practice Manager can be found in the Administration section of  our Meet The Team page

Making a formal complaint

If you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing, as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily.

In any event, this should be: within 12 months of the incident, or  within 12 months of you discovering that  you have a problem.

State your case clearly giving as much detail as you can. You can use our template complaint form linked on this page or simply write a letter.

You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written consent.

Our standard template includes a third-party authority form to enable a complaint to be made by someone else.

What we do next

We look to settle complaints as soon as possible. We will acknowledge receipt of written complaints within 3 working days, and aim to have looked into the matter within 10 working days. You may then receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s)concerned to attempt to resolve the issue. If the matter is likely to take longer than this we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses.

When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can earn from it, and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you would like to do so.   

When the investigations are complete your complaint will be determined and a response sent to you.

Complaints involving other organisations

If your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. social services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.

The  response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response. Above all we will always deal with your complaint in an open, transparent and respectful way.

How to Escalate

Most of the organisations that you can escalate your complaint to will require you to have first taken up your complaint with the Surgery.

You can escalate a complaint to

  • The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
  • NHS England
  • The Cheshire and Merseyside Integrated Care Board (ICB) who commission GP services
  • Healthwatch can support you with a complaint and are also able to arrange someone to act as your advocate.